Monday, June 20, 2011

The Newest Singing Competition Show, The Voice!


The Voice, a singing competition, that puts not only the contestants, but the coaches as well in competition together. Each coach acts as a mentor to a select group of singers, of their own choosing. The catch, the singers are chosen based off of talent alone, by not allowing the judges to see who exactly is performing. It became an immediate hit, and is constantly getting compared to American Idol.


The Coaches!

Christina Aguilera~The only girl amongst the guys, and one of the two judges that I think actually makes sense on this panel. Her group consists of mostly girls, and while quite a few of them have simply decent voices I do think that Frenchie Davis and Beverly McClellan, do put her team at a serious advantage. 

Cee-Lo Green~The only other coach that I think makes sense on the panel. While he may be best known for his most recent hit 'F**k You', he does have a few other hits that he made while apart of the group Gnarls Barkley, and he has experience as a producer as well. 

Adam Levine~Okay, this may sound mean, but I really don't consider Maroon 5, a "real" band. I love 'She Will Be Loved' just as much as the next person, but aside from him singing a few catchy tunes, I don't get what really qualifies him to be a mentor. 

Blake Shelton~I honestly have no idea who this man is, what I know is that he has been around for about 10 years and only recently become big.  I saw his interview on Chelsea Lately a year ago to promote what at the time was a brand new CD, and I saw his interview on the exact same show a year later promoting the exact same CD. Apparently no one else knew who he was either. 

All in all the show is sort of fun, and there is some genuine talent amongst the contestants. But you have to wonder exactly when there going to stop with the competition shows, because it is all sort of beginning to seem a bit repetitive. I mean American Idol, America's Got Talent, The Voice, and the upcoming X Factor, when will it all end?! I also think that the coaches are coming off as a bit "preachy", but they do seem to genuinely want to mentor the contestants, which is good. I don't know, I may just stick to watching the auditions and finale next season though.

No comments: