Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day Everybody!

If your in a relationship and in love, good for you. I wish you nothing but the best today. But if you're just as much apart of the lonely heart's club as I am today, I say to you don't be down, it's a Hallmark holiday anyway! So rather then siting in, and stuffing our faces full of ice cream while lounging around in clown pants, how about we be just be mature adults and list a few epic "romance films" that all those happy couples will be indulging in  tonight, that we find somewhat questionable...

The Twilight Saga...while I love the series, do I really need to point out how unromantic it is to have a hovering, over-protective boyfriend like Edward and a beastly best friend, with a horrible temper, who can't take no for an answer fighting over you.

Ghost...love it! Only seen it a few times, but still there is no happy ending here. All there is, is justice. The guy doesn't come back to life, they don't ride off into the sunset together. Nada.

Titanic...I find this movie seriously depressing. I've seen the movie, in it's entirety only once. My sisters will watch it every time it airs, but I cannot. I love 'My Heart Will Go On' and Kate Winslet just as much as the next person, but really no happy ending here either. He dies, she moves on, marries someone else, has a family with someone else, and granted he wanted all these things for her but I would have personally found it much more romantic if she just spent the rest her life alone and with a broken heart. Maybe that's just me though.

Keep in mind these are just a few of the many, I know there's about a thousand more but after a while all romance films start to seem the same to me. In my opinion the most romantic movie in the world though is... Beaches!

Beaches
I know what you're all thinking. Beaches is about two best friends, whom are both women, both straight, and their friendship spanning over thirty years. But really does every romantic film out there have to be between just lovers. Can't it be between two best friends, who were basically soul mates, and were there for one another through thick and thin too? 

I am a firm believer, in the thought that more then just your husband or wife can be your soul mate. I think it can be anyone who you just have an instant connection with, even if it's just as friends. And again I know, Barbara Hershey dies in the movie so what makes this different from Titanic? Maybe the fact that Hilary lived on through her daughter, whom chose to stay with Cc after her mothers death, and lived on to what we can only presume was a happy ever after, as a family. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, maybe you think Jennifer's Body is the ultimate romance film because she kills all the boys, and that's what you want to do. Or Little Manhattan because you're cutesy like that. To each there own!

So do you have a favorite romantic film, that may not be the norm? What is it and why? Are you alone this Valentines Day, or are you currently happy and in love? Wherever you are and whatever you may believe, I hope you have a great day today, whether you'r celebrating Valentines or not.

No comments: